Deer Lakes Golf Course

Deer Lakes Golf Course is a new, challenging, public course in Salem, Kentucky. Construction started in October 1999 and was completed in September 2000 then opened to the public in March 2001. The course has rolling Bermuda fairways and lush bent grass greens. It has water on 9 holes, 34 sand bunkers and dog legs that play through the woods.

This 300-acre, naturally contoured golf course is located on Highway 60 in the rural historical setting of Salem, Kentucky, within the former fluorspar-mining center of the world. It is 30 miles NE of Paducah, within 30 miles of Kentucky and Barkley Lakes and Dams, 60 miles north of the college town of Murray, 70 miles SW of Evansville, IN and a two-hour drive from Nashville, TN. It is easily reached from I-24 Exits 16 & 31, and Western Kentucky Parkway Exits 12 & 4.

Salem Golf Info

The 18 holes are spaced among half dozen lakes and 40 to 50 species of trees that resemble a brilliant emerald in the spring and burst forth in the fall in a spectacular array of color. Deer Lakes Golf Course is enhanced with large rocks, flowing streams and foot bridges. Each tee-box features a marble monument on which the holes specifications are engraved. One irrigation lake between holes #14 and #15 contains over a billion gallons of fresh water feeding from the natural everlasting Butler Spring nearby. The five mile concrete cart path winds through hills and beautiful trees, one being a 150 foot tall Tulip Poplar near #12 Tee-box, a rare Chestnut Oak centered in the driving range and a White Oak measuring 16 Ft. in circumference estimated to be 300 years of age on hole #8.


A large portion of the course is bounded by Sandy Creek where many species of colorful birds and wild life abound, including wild turkeys, deer and many others native to this area. The roadway, known as Alley Lane, through the course was a part of the old Golconda Road, the stagecoach line between Illinois and Tennessee and a part of the Cherokee Indian Trail of Tears on their march to Oklahoma Territory in 1838. The old iron bridge at #15 Tee-box was originally installed on this same road in 1898 and carried all traffic across Sandy Creek until about 1950, then abandoned until it was narrowed and removed to the course.

More Course Info

Rental golf carts are stored in the basement of the modern, barn type, 4000 square foot clubhouse sealed inside with beautiful Cherry Bark Oak lumber cut from the golf course. The Club House is available for events such as meetings, weddings, etc. and catering is available from Twin Oaks Steak House in the immediate area.

Please learn more about the following: